Friday, September 24, 2004

Why do we exist?

That question has been nagging me ever since I started thinking. At times I would wonder why we live, what is our purpose, for several days together. There were times when I would feel that there was no point in living. It always seems to me that none of us have any purpose for living in this world. We live only because we have a life. What if I was never born? If we were never given life, how would the world have been? Would there have been a world? What if the universe never existed? What if there were nothing, nothing at all? Tough questions... I wonder who'll answer them for me.



I'm a hardcore fan of the Max Payne game series, and I'm reminded of a phrase, rather a quote, a long one, from Max Payne 2 : The Fall of Max Payne, by Max Payne : "Vlad was right. There are no choices. Nothing but a straight line. The illusion comes afterwards, when you ask 'Why me?' and 'What if?'. When you look back and see the branches, like a pruned bonsai tree, or forked lightning. If you had done something differently, it wouldn't be you, it would be someone else looking back, asking a different set of questions." So I guess there is no point in asking questions like that. Everything exists, so stop asking silly questions, and live your life. That's what my brain says; at least one part of it.



Other questions that nag me are: How did the first human beings come into being? If Darwin is correct, we evolved from earlier primates, i.e., apes. But where did the monkeys come from? Where and how did our ancestors come into this world? For that matter, how did the world come into this universe? How were the planets that surround us created? How did the universe itself come into existence in the first place?



According to my high school education, the general consensus among scientists is that the whole universe was the result of a cosmic explosion, nicknamed the "Big Bang". Supposedly there was an atom, known as the "Primeval Atom", which was dense enough to contain all the parts of the universe we know, rather we think we know today. That was the conclusion derived from Hubble's Law ( (astronomy) the generalization that the speed of recession of distant galaxies (the red shift) is proportional to their distance from the observer), because most galaxies were found to be moving away from a central point. This is still only theoretical though. Maybe I should read "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.



Now for the religious point of view. If the founders of Hinduism were right, the universe was created by Brahma, the lord of creation. Then there's Shiva, the lord of destruction, and of course, Vishnu, the lord who strikes the balance between the other two, the lord of sustenance. For more information on this, visit SanatanSociety.Org . Also visit IndiaNest.Com where a connection between the modern blackhole theory and the trinity of lords is explained. I'm not too sure about other religions, so I'm not going to make any comments about them.



So why do we exist? I'm not sure, but I think it's a matter of opinion. I don't think there's one main reason we exist. But hey, that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment