Friday, September 10, 2004

Spiderman 2 is quite disappointing

Before you get enraged, let me tell you that I am not talking about the movie. I'm talking about the PC version of Spiderman 2 the game. I have only one word to describe Activision's attempt to recreate Spidey's movie magic in the gaming world - pathetic.



Anybody who bought this game for the PC has been ripped off (I didn't buy - I borrowed). After playing its prequel, one would have envisioned Spiderman 2 having mind blowing high quality graphics. The game could have at least lived up to the previous one. But the whole engine seems to be based on much older versions of Spiderman games. The only difference being, Spiderman can now walk on the streets. Who needs to walk when you can swing and crawl walls???!!!



When I first saw the trailer of this game, I noticed that Spiderman could do awe-inspiring moves with his web, somewhat like a swinging gymnast. None of those moves are available for the PC version, but the PS2 version has it all. I heard somewhere that the PS2 version has even more levels than the PC version.



You can't even play as Peter Parker in this version. You have no combos, no special web attacks, moronic in-game missions, bad voice acting by Tobey Macguire, and worst of all, a sarcastic "guide" aiding you in the tutorial.



Probably, the guys at Activision were trying to "reach out" to those with low end computers, and also fix minor bugs in the first game like bad environment detail, and Spidey being unable to walk on the streets of New York. In the process, they forgot to detail Spidey and other main characters, resulting in a totally abominable game, losing the much needed boost from the large population of high end gamers.



I wonder what will happen when the third Spiderman movie gets out. I think that’s somewhere in 2007. Maybe they'll revert to a 2-D platform... maybe I'm being too harsh...



Or maybe I should finally consider buying a PS2. But considering that I'm short on cash, I guess my PC will have to do. Unless someone is willing to buy me one.



No comments:

Post a Comment