Tuesday, January 3, 2006

Off The Record - My Morning Jacket: An Observation

For the uninitiated: Off The Record is a song in My Morning Jacket's last album, Z.

I seem to have a knack for recognizing English when spoken backwards. I guess repeated viewing of 'The Exorcist' was the cause for that. Anyway, I've never been wrong in recognizing it. Except for that one time when I thought the lead singer of Sigur Ros was actually a woman singing in English, but backwards. It was just that one time.

Coming to the topic at hand - I recently acquired the aforementioned album, and happened to notice that this particular song had instances of English spoken backwards, towards the end of the song. Tried Googling it, but surprisingly, nobody else seemed to have noticed that. Even lyrics sites didn't mention anything about it; they just had the main song's words.

I had my doubts. Perhaps I just made another mistake. But I had time. Lots of it. And also some version of Audacity(an audio editor). It's pretty fast when it comes to reversing songs. Soon I found myself listening to the singer speaking random English words, or that's what I thought it was. The music was louder than the singer's voice during that part, so I couldn't make out much of what he was saying. Some of the phrases I happened to hear were - "Here's a clue", "Burn burn burn" and "Oh my Jesus", not in that order. Reminded me of an episode of 'The Simpsons', the one where Bart forms a pop group that sings "Ymra eht nioj", which is "Join the army" spelt backwards. So, I'm going to make a totally misinformed and probably wrong statement - My Morning Jacket is a band that spreads anti-Christian thoughts through subliminal messages in their songs. Clever chaps.

In other news, I was listening to my copy of Radiohead's 'Pablo Honey' in the living room for change(I wanted to know how they sound on 5.1 speakers), when my mother came in shouting "What happened to the speakers?! Those noises sound like a mixie's!". She was referring to the distortion guitar riffs in 'Creep'. Sigh...

11 comments:

  1. Takk's kinda weird at places, other than the language barrier. I guess Sigur Ros has a penchant for weird but enchanting sounds. It's great when I need to relax.

    Well, 'Z' is quite different from 'It Still Moves'... People say it's a lot like Radiohead's 'Kid A', but I think it sounds more like a cross between Radiohead and that Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots album by the Flaming Lips. It's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the song which made me say it sounds like Yoshimi too. I can't understand why critics say it sounds like Kid A though.

    Nah, haven't heard the Boredoms. Will check them out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. I think I was downloading something during that time... I've got this night-time free dsl connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting conversations going on. your blog has become a watchamacallit, a chat room of sorts. maybe you should get a tagboard...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah, been there done that. Don't want tons of spam again. Besides, the reason I've enabled comments is to encourage discussion (hopefully) related to the post, like in this one, atleast before my last comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought Z, but haven't really given it a chance. I too thought of the Flaming Lips the first time I heard it. After that, I think I got a little bored. I'll have to give it another listen, even if only to find the hidden meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, some of the songs are boring and even repetetive. I didn't listen to it in one go myself. I don't think I would've heard the whole album if it weren't for the backward speech at the end of that song. The last track 'Dondante' is less boring than the rest, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard that one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. moro islamic liberation frontFebruary 1, 2006 at 12:20 AM

    I found your blog when I googled my morning jacket, specifically looking for what they were saying at the end of that song. I too stuck it in the audacity and spun it around, but can’t make out the vocal over the music.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's what I got for the backwards lyrics in the song...

    burn, burn, burn
    no matter how
    corruptible
    there's only two ways to
    Oh, jesus
    to your face
    like scouts
    is cool

    Weird, I know. There are a couple of lines I couldn't make out, oh well. I did my best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know it's been a LONG time, but suddenly, I'm a huge fan of My Morning Jacket. I saw them recently at the Bonnaroo music festival and they were phenomenal. Even better live than they are on CD. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete